An optional approach to the treatment of Tinnitus is available through the use of the new open fit hearing aids/devices. This can be an effective solution if there is some degree of hearing loss present with Tinnitus. Although not effective for everyone, approximately 70% of patients with Tinnitus hearing loss will experience some degree of relief with the new open fit high frequency response hearing devices.
Solution 1: Hearing Instrument
The majority of patients with tinnitus have associated hearing loss. For these patients, hearing aids are used as a means of treatment since the amplification of sounds in the environment will sometimes reduce a patient’s awareness of their tinnitus.
- This is the preferred strategy for patients with hearing loss and whose tinnitus disturbance is mild.
Solution 2: Tinnitus Sound Generator (TSG)
This utilizes “Sound Therapy.” The sound generator helps reduce the perceived strength of the tinnitus by introducing background noise that partially covers the tinnitus signal. The goal is to make it more difficult for the brain to detect the tinnitus. Ultimately, over time less importance and priority is assigned by the brain to the tinnitus and relief is achieved. Studies show it can take 3-12 months for complete habituation to occur and maximum benefit to be received (i.e. Auditory Contrast).
- This is the preferred strategy for patients with mild to moderately disturbing tinnitus and little to no hearing loss.
Solution 3: Combination Devices
These devices offer the unique flexibility of having both TSG and hearing aid capabilities.
- This is the preferred strategy for patients with both disturbing tinnitus and hearing loss.
Solution 4: Neuromonics Tinnitus Treatment (NTT)
This device delivers a customized sound signal (embedded in music). This sound stimulates a wide frequency range of the auditory system. This stimulus is much wider than you would receive from normal listening, hearing aids or other sound devices. NTT is a 6-8 month program incorporating two stages of treatment. The first stage is designed to promote positive changes in relaxation, concentration, stress, anxiety and sleep. The second stage of treatment focuses on stimulating the auditory pathway, through neuro-plastic changes, to help the braing to become less aware or bothered by the tinnitus. Each stage of treatment requires 2-4 hours of usage a day, preferably at times when the tinnitus is most disturbing.
- This is the preferred strategy for patients, with or without hearing loss, whose tinnitus is severely disturbing, leading to disruptions in sleep, concentration and interfering with daily activities.
Why is it a breakthrough?
- Reduces symptoms quickly – Many patients enjoy some relief almost immediately
- Treats the cause – Addresses underlying neurological causes of tinnitus
- Provides significant long-term relief – Relief lasts, even long after the treatment ends
- Convenient and non-invasive – No medication or surgery required. It supports your body’s own natural mechanisms to block out tinnitus symptoms
- Clinically proven – Shown to be effective for 90% of suitable tinnitus cases as demonstrated by 15 years of clinical studies and in general clinical practice
Find out more at www.neuromonics.com.